Thursday, June 30, 2016

How to get stronger? Everything will change for you when...

Training to get stronger is the pinnacle of Weightlifting or any strength sport for that matter. For Weightlifters, a higher total, a P.R. on their snatch or clean n jerk would mean the whole world for them. We can train for years just to add 1kg to your snatch or clean n jerk max. It took me 3 years to add 2 kilos to my clean and jerk max. Still I'm waiting to P.R. my snatch max. Everything will change for you when you change your mindset.


Motivation and sense of urgency
I want you to think about the last time you were so motivated to pursue a passion, an obligation, or to achieve something out of the ordinary. It requires an absolute sense of urgency to protect and finish an obligation that can cost you. Take for example, if you just became a parent your mindset has shifted from thinking about you to now having the obligation of raising a child. Parents would understand this obligation. Think about the last time you entered a competition and how serious your training got especially if you were a contender to place. I remember, several years ago I would train twice a day for 3 days during the week. I would do my squats at 6am in 39 degree weather 3 days a week!!! Then in the afternoon train doing my snatches, cleans and accessory work. I didn't mind the training since my hunger to succeed was so high. In addition, I had a sense of urgency that drove me to succeed.

Mindest
Everything will change for you when you change your mindset. The sense of urgency will come for you when your motivation to succeed is so high that your energy will be so focused on becoming stronger that you will do whatever is necessary to succeed. This is the great change. This is the change you've been looking for that will grant you the gainz you've been wanting.

Wanting and Needing
Lastly, there is a difference between wanting and needing. You might say, "I want to snatch 100kilos." "I want to squat 200kilos." But wanting is not going to be enough for you to push yourself to the next level. A need and having a strong need to succeed will give you that sense of urgency. Many powerlifters WANT to deadlift 900lbs. In strongman, IF you don't deadlift 900lbs you will not advance to the next round!!! This is the major difference! You can see that having a strong NEED will push you to succeed.

Change your mindset. Look for a reason to succeed by having a sense of urgency. Do you want to get stronger or do you need to get stronger? It's up to you.

Coach Cano

No comments:

Post a Comment