Saturday, November 5, 2016

Why it's easy to be a female in a male dominated sport

The strength sports have been largely dominated by men for centuries but lately it has exploded and there are now thousands and thousands of girls who are taking the strength sports as serious as men. I LOVE IT!!!! First off, I love women and I mean all kinds: white, Asian, black, latinas I have love for all of them. Second, they're beautiful. What's not to like about women.

With that said, many women competing in strength sports as beautiful as they are are simply taking their sport and their training as serious as any one else. They know that they aren't going to the gym to be as pretty as possible and if you are...you're really not that serious!!!! And I don't support you if you haven't achieved anything worth my time or anyone's time for that matter. What have you achieved? What have you done? What are your credentials?

Why it's easy for females
In the strength community, if you're good looking and you're a female you can instantly attract a large following of fans who will flock to your social media. Looking at the content put out I'm sure the large majority aren't going to these females social media for training science. Those of you who read my blogs know that I put out science, training motivation, and strength ideas and techniques. I almost never write about anything else. Beauty attracts followers....PERIOD!!! I'm not going to lie. Watching women lift weights and trying to be stronger is very attractive.



The types of female lifters
The Competitor: she is the one who puts content on her training. She provides daily updates, daily training videos. nutrition videos.

The Drama Queen: you know who she is. Self explanatory.

Emotional story teller: got a story for everything? She does. She has a story for about every lift she's ever done. Usually starts with, "Things didn't go as planned..."

Selfie Lifter: ......ummm...yeah. Selfie....another one. And more reps. And another selfie.

Motivator: she provides daily motivating or inspiring quotes, messages, and video. Take it for what it's worth...sometimes it's too much.

My life is good on social media but I'm empty inside lifter: you know who she is. She screams LOOK AT ME!!!! She posts training videos and how amazing her life is....but is it really?

The business lifter: she's the one who's on here for business. She's looking for clients, customers and looking for her next gig. That's acceptable and fine as long as you don't hurt people. I'm ok with this.

The practitioner: she's the lifter who promotes her practice, and she trains putting up training content. In addition, she'll provide science of training. I like these types.

It's all about me lifter: the most selfish kind. She will post daily training videos, daily food pics but what makes her sooooo selfish is that she will NOT promote anyone but herself. It's ok and fine...but sometimes it's too much.

The Science Teacher: she is the lifter who is not only providing training videos but is actually teaching you. She is the one who is providing content to make you a better lifter. These are hard to come by. Personally, my favorite one.


Final thoughts
There are few female lifters who I support based soley on beauty. I largely support Olympic lifters but I do support powerlifters and stronmen and women who aren't at the highest levels of this sport. It's these lifters who day in and day out are on their journey to become the best versions of themselves. They are the ones who will lay the groundwork for future generations of lifters. It's the everyday lifter who I support. You know who you are. Just want to say thank you for supporting me throughout all these years and for reading my posts.



Coach Cano

2 comments:

  1. Coach Cano,

    Thank you for the insightful and informative blog post. I have many questions:

    Is this a comprehensive list of all female lifter types, or is this part one of a series on female lifter classification? Is it a flat taxonomy or is there a ranked hierarchy similar to biological cladistics? For example, I could see The Science Teacher being an evolutionary ancestor of The Practitioner, or maybe in the lineage of a big lizard with a lot of teeth, but I haven't studied this in depth, either genetically or in the field.

    Do you feel the same love for strong women who are also men? If so, I have a lot of documentaries I would like to watch with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just a list of certain people I can think of who I have perceived to be of a certain type. There is no scientific basis for their classification. Completely arbitrary.

      Delete